As per our theory knowledge, HDD(Hard-Disk-Drive) is the data storeroom to store and access computer information. At current, the hard drive is the medium disk storage box present in every laptop and computers. At the other side, SSD (Solid-state Drive) will have the primary driver named as “Local C:”for all laptops and computers. Now a day’s many of the Hosting companies provide options to their customers to choose either HDD or SSD. Many of the customers go with HDD because it is less expensive compared to SSD configurations, but they ignore the benefits and features of SSD. Let us know the major differences between HDD and SSD and which is better for you.
Major Differences between HDD and SSD
- Evolution of HDD and SSD : HDD(HardDrives) are developed in round shape about 60 years ago, the first HDD was IBM 350 RAMAC, this HDD took large space of up to two rooms and was able to hold 3 MB of data in it. The current HDD models are of 3.5 to 2.5 inches, they are capable of holding up to 4TB of data.SSD(Solid-state Drives) are bought in the frame in 20’s, first SSD model was of 2.5 inch notebook with ultra-portable feature and large amount of data storage capability. At the current stage SSD models are capable of holding up to 60TB.
- What HDD and SSD Means?HDD(Hard Drives) : All your server’s data is stored in place known as HDD. This includes website data and content, software and operating system. If any changes take place in your website content and software will be updated automatically and stored in HDD. HDD plays a vital role, it reads and processes the information to your website visitors. In HDD drives, data is stored on physical thin metal disks.SSD(Solid-State Drives) : SDD works in totally different way from HDD, it is designed with the perfectly moving parts and stores the server data on flash memory chips. It performs all the tasks the HDD can perform, much quicker in processing data to the website visitors. No risk of mechanical failure.
- Functionality and Performance HDD(HardDrives) : Hard drive’s main function is to store data locally. It is the bundle of magnetic disks with read-write arms to process the data properly. HDD is being used from decades, and it has improved in performance as well as other aspects.SSD(Solid-state Drives) : Most people opt for SSD due to its high speeddata storing and processing performance. SSD is flash memory based drive, processes data with interconnected memory chips.
Advantages and Disadvantages
HDD (Hard Drives):
- Currently hard drive storage capacity is 500 GB to 1TB as base.
- It needs time for speed-up to updated website content, software and OS.
- HDD is best option to store larger files.
- Fragmentation due to their rotary surfaces.
- Affordable for all businesses.
- Even the newest HDD makes bit noise
SSD (Solid-state Drives):
- Current SSD storage capacity is 4 TB as base.
- HDD can’t beat SSD in speed because it takes less than a minute to boot and process.
- SSD’s never face fragmentation because of non-physical process.
- Bit expensive for start-ups.
- Since it is non-mechanical, never produce any noise.
Leave a Reply